The Sony a7II has been relieved by a new family member. The Sony a7III is here.
The a7III has already been called a lot of things. Sony apparently called it a “basic full-frame model”, others the mini a9, GH5s killer and more… Let’s look at some of the specs.
Video example further down…
It a Fast Hybrid AF with 693 phase-detection and 425 contrast-detection AF points, it shoots up to 10fps and in video mode it shoots internal 4K in HDR/HLG, S-Log 2 and 3 all without pixel binning. The bitrate is 8bit and you can record up to 120fps without cropping. The a7III uses the NP-FZ100 battery with approx. 2.2 times as much capacity as a NP-FW50 battery like the a9 and a7RIII. It has dual SD UHS-II slots and features a USB 3.1 Gen 1 port.
Better Eye AF
According to Sony Eye AF can now be used with AF-C mode, for fast, effective eye detection/tracking performance when shooting stills. The easy maintenance of optimum focus on moving subjects can totally transform your portraiture. I find that pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see how it works out in real life. I would like to see that work in movie mode… that would be awesome!
Up to 10fps—or 8fps for live-view shooting—with AF/AE trackingUp to approximately 177 JPEG (standard) images, 89 compressed RAW images, or 40 uncompressed RAW images can be captured in one continuous burst
When artificial lighting flicker is detected, the shutter is timed to minimize possible exposure and color inconsistency in images shot at high shutter speeds, as well as between continuous shots.
Prices start at $1.999,99 for the body and $2.199,99 for the kit with the 28-70mm zoom lens.
- LENS COMPATIBILITY
- Sony E-mount lenses
- SENSOR TYPE
- 35 mm full frame (35.6 × 23.8 mm), Exmor R® CMOS sensor
- NUMBER OF PIXELS (EFFECTIVE)
- Approx. 24.2 megapixels
- ISO SENSITIVITY (RECOMMENDED EXPOSURE INDEX)
- Still images: ISO 100-51200 (ISO numbers from ISO 50 to ISO 204800 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 100-12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit), Movies: ISO 100-51200 equivalent (ISO numbers up to ISO 102400 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 100-12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
- BATTERY LIFE (STILL IMAGES)
- Approx. 610 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 710 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)31
- VIEWFINDER TYPE
- 1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder (color), XGA OLED
- MONITOR TYPE
- 2.95 inch (3.0-type) wide type TFT