What is the Sony FX3?
When I first saw the leaked images of the Sony FX3 I thought; this is for gimbals and the coming Sony Airpeak drone (article here) and I still think I’m right. The FX3 is basically a7SIII in a new EVF-less body. It only has a flip screen. 4K/120P, XAVC SI 4:2:2 10bit S-Log3, and HDR video, 16-bit RAW HDMI output, and S-Cinetone. Full specs below.
The official Sony release video:
The new FX3 comes with a handle. The handle looks a lot like the K3M function-wise. In addition to the camera’s built-in microphone, you can use your choice of shotgun microphones which are connected externally via the full-size XLR connectors on the handle through a digital audio interface via Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe. Three recording formats can be selected, including 24-bit 4-channel. The handle also has several 1/4-20 UNC mounting points just like the camera.
It also has a new heat dissipation system according to Sony. Heatsink placement, airflow structure, and a silent cooling fan work to optimize cooling even during long shoots. Check out the video from CineD’s Johnnie Behiri here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7jPZZKmLMA – he’s had the camera for a while and shot with it.
- 10.2 megapixel[i] full-frame back-illuminated CMOS Exmor R™ sensor and BIONZ XR™ image processing engine
- Ultra-high sensitivity with ISO expandable to 409,600 for very low light conditions and 15+ stops of dynamic range[ii]
- S-Cinetone™ look profile which is inspired by the digital cinema camera VENICE’s color science, also used in FX9 and FX6 Cinema Line cameras, and records up to 4K 120p[iii]
- Compact and lightweight body design with high operability for hand-held shooting, gimbal, and drone-mounted work
- Multi-thread (1/4-20 UNC) body makes it easy to mount accessories
- Detachable XLR handle unit with two of XLR/TRS audio input
- “Active Mode” image stabilization [iv] supports handheld movie shooting
- Fast Hybrid Auto Focus, Touch Tracking (real-time tracking), and Real-time Eye AF, also used in other Alpha™ cameras
- Uninterrupted 4K 60p recording (Continued)[v] by Effective heat dissipation and built-in cooling fan
Full presentation over on the Sony website: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilme-fx3